Friday, July 19, 2013

Chapter 7: Misguided Ghosts




"I won't." Spikes repeated.
She straightened herself, fierce eyes meeting his dumbfounded gaze.

"W-what?" Talon stuttered, taking a step back.

"You can't back out on us now."

"Did I fucking mumbled Talon? I won't do this. I won't let any of you do this to her!" Spikes shouted, stepping closer to Talon.

"I knew it!" Talon snarled. "Xander, I told you. I told you she was nothing but a bitch."

"She is a canine." Xander muttered under his breath as he approached.
"You're the one whining, Talon. You seem like more of a bitch right now."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Talon's voice was nearly piercing.
"She's stabbing us in the back, and you don't even care?"

Spikes pushed past Talon, grabbing Xander's hand as she approached him.

His face was unreadable. His emotions flaring between disappointment, pride, and apathy.


"Xander..."
He jumped at the sound of his name, but his eyes softened. Only slightly.

"We can't do this. Please... I need your support."

Xander frowned. Glancing between his friends and Spikes's unwavering gaze.

Xander sighed, shaking his head as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I'm out too." Xander smiled at her.

Spikes grinned turning back to face Talon who had been joined by Fang.

"You have nothing. I'm not letting you do this. I will stop you." Spikes declared. 
With Xander's support she was confident she could stop the pair. Cocky even.

"I knew it. I knew you'd gone soft, but no one listened to me." Talon shouted, pointing a finger at Spikes.
"You really think you can get the best of me?"

"She already has." Xander standing, moving to stand beside Spikes.

"I wonder if she'll still think that behind bars." Talon sneered, signaling to Fang.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Spikes questioned, stepping closer to him.

"It means Fang is tripping the alarms as we speak." 

Spikes's eyes widened, as she quickly scanned the room around her.

"You conniving bastard." Xander growled under his breath.

"I wonder... Do you think a friendship is salvageable after attempting to rob them?" Fang asked as he approached Spikes. "Let's find out."


"You're fucking insane!" She snarled, pushing him back.

"Maybe, but I'm not stupid." he grinned as he ran with fang. 
"Bye-bye jail-bird! Or should I say mutt?"

Xander grabbed Spikes's hand, snapping her out of her state of confusion as they both ran out of the house.

"There they are."

Spikes snarled as she jumped down from the fence.

She glanced over her shoulder briefly before running as hard and as fast as she was capable of, with Xander tailing behind her.


"We'll lose them. Just lay low." Xander whispered, pulling her into an alley way.

Spikes sat down beside the dumpster, struggling to breathe.

Her muscles ached, and her breathing was labored.
The edges of her vision began to blur slightly, she shook her head, forcing herself to focus.

They both held their breath as sirens passed by them. Xander crouched low to the ground as he made his way forward.

"Miss me, Bitch?" Talon grinned, easily flipping Xander over his back.
"I'm not letting you get off that easy."

Talon grabbed Spikes's wrist, pulling her toward the street lamp.

"Let go of me!" Spikes snarled, digging her heels into the ground.

Talon frowned, grabbing her waist and throwing her towards the street.
Xander grunted as he slammed into Talon's side, shoving the blond's face into the gravel.

"You fucking coward." Xander exclaimed, grabbing the back of Talon's head before slamming it once again into the gravel.

"Coward or not, your woman is gone." Talon laughed.


Xander looked up to see Spikes just as the officer slammed her against the hood of his car.

Xander punched Talon in the face, knocking him unconscious before he tried to make his way to Spikes.

She shook her head slightly. There were too many and she knew it.
She watched him punch a wall before running away from the cops.

"You have the right to-" It all blurred together as the cop read her her rights, handcuffed her and roughly pushed her into the back of the squad car.

She didn't struggle. She silently accepted her fate, wondering if she had indeed made the right decision.
...


"I'm in a cell. Why the hell am I still in cuffs?" She snarled as the officer locking her up walked away.

She kicked the bed frame when he continued to walk, completely disregarding her. 

She struggled briefly against the cold metal clanking against he wrists, but eventually she at on the lower bunk
and waited.

She didn't know what she was waiting for.
Court?
Freedom?
Death?

Did any of it matter in the small dark room behind cold steel bars?

"How the fuck did I get myself into this?" She muttered under her breath, kicking at the floor beneath her feet.

"I've lived on the streets since I was a pup. Takado... he raised me, and then Blade after him." Spikes inhaled deeply, glancing at the small window in her cell. 
"The streets never changed. I just never had a home."

She bit down on her lip, closing her eyes shut to hold in the tears that threatened to escape.

Her brother died on the streets.
Mentor abandoned her on the streets.

The streets were merciless, didn't care how unfair things were.

"I didn't choose this... I don't want to live like this anymore!" She called out, trashing ontop of the small bed.

"Then don't." A familiar almost melodic voice spoke up.

Spikes's eyes flew open as she stared at the figure standing in the now open door to her cell.


"You don't have to live like this anymore." Kitty grinned.

No comments:

Post a Comment