Saturday, July 20, 2013

Chapter 8: Let Me Go


"So, welcome home I guess?" Kitty announced as the two girls stepped through the front door.
"You're going to be staying in my original room. Because whereas I am rich, I am not psychic."

Spikes nodded, trailing slowly behind Kitty. She took a moment to properly take in her surroundings, take in just how large the mansion was.

"Cause if I'd know, I would have had a room prepared for you when I had the house refurnished last month."

Spikes paid her no mind, remaining silent as Kitty toured the house with her.
Smiling hesitantly at Kitty's enthusiasm. 

She was still confused. Why would Kitty drop the charges?
Why pay her bail?

And then ask her to move in on top of everything?


"On your left is your temporary room, and straight ahead is mine." Kitty announced, pushing Spikes forward.
"What do you think?"

"I... I don't understand. Why are you doing all this for me?" Spikes asked. She kept her eyes ahead. Away from Kitty's piercing sapphire ones.

"You're my best friend." Kitty said gently, resting a hand on Spikes shoulder.
"Do you really think I'm gonna let you rot in some jail cell?"

"I can't ever repay you for this Kitty. I have nothing. I don't understand why you're being so kind to me."
Spikes fists curled at her sides.
"I'm nothing but an urchin from the street."

Kitty sighed softly, pulling Spikes into a hug.

"You don't have to repay me Spikes. It's what friends do." Kitty grinned.
"Real friends at least."


Spikes smiled, returning the hug from the cat.
She many not have understood why, but she did understand the cat's sincerity.

"Besides. You probably won't be thanking me when you see the room you'll be staying in for the next week." Kitty chuckled nervously, pushing Spikes towards the door to the room.

Spikes paused, taking in the room and all of it's frivolities.

"Hey Kitty, remember how I said I'd stop calling you princess?"

"Yes?"

"You can forget about that now." Spikes laughed, turning to face the cat.
"I thought you moved here last June?"

"I did, what about it?" Kitty scowled back at Spikes.
She crossed her arms over her chest, sticking out her lower lip.

"Then why does this look like a room for a child?"

"I... I really like stuffed animals and cute things, okay? Shut up." Kitty laughed, punching Spikes in the arm.

Spikes joined her laughter, throwing one of the toys at Kitty.
They both laughed, thrilled children to have finally found something each had been looking for.

A home.
...


"So what is going on with you and Mohawk-Guy?" Kitty asked as she plopped down onto the couch beside Spikes.

"Seriously Kitty? It's been a year. Can't you at least try to remember my boyfriend's name?" Spikes groaned, glaring at the feline beside her.

"I know his stupid name." Kitty protested. "I just don't feel like calling him by it."

"Whatever." Spikes rolled her eyes before bending over to pet her large dog.
"What do you mean what's going on with us?"

"I don't know. It's just," Kitty hesitated, cast a glance up at the ceiling.
"You guys don't act like you're dating. We're graduating at the end of this year, do you guys even have a plan?"

Spikes paused, staring down at Damon as the dog scratched at his ears.

"I... No. We haven't talked about it at all."
Kitty frowned, watching Spikes tense slightly.

"You guys are the weirdest couple I have ever even heard of." Kitty groaned. She leaned against the couch's armrest, Jinx sitting beside her.


"It just hasn't come up Kitty. It's not that big of a deal." Spikes retorted, throwing one of the couch pillows at her.
"... Is it really that bad?"

"Yes," Kitty responded.
Spikes glared at the cat, grabbing another pillow to throw at her.

"I just mean it's weird, Dude! You act more like friends than an actual couple." Kitty explained, swatting aside the second oncoming pillow.
"I think I've only ever seen you guys hold hands twice. That can't be good."

"We're just not into public displays of affection, Kitty." Spikes responded, lowering the pillow.
And her eyes.
"We're at a very mature place with our relationship and that's how we like it."

"Seriously Spikes? That's such bullshit." Kitty sighed.
"I'm not trying to bash on your relationship, but I just don't want to see you lying to yourself."

"What makes you think I'm lying to myself?"

Kitty frowned, glancing at Jinx before meeting her best friend's eyes.

"Because I know you hate wearing that contact lens, but he insists you wear it so you do." Kitty spoke softly, cautiously watching Spikes.
"You rarely smile around him and when you do, it's like it doesn't reach your eyes."

"That doesn't mean I'm lying to myself Kitty." Spikes insisted.
She stood from the couch as Damon began barking and ran for the door.


"I know you're worried, but things are fine. I'm happy."

Kitty watched Spikes retreat towards the door.
She sighed softly, placing her hand on Jinx's head.

"Do you even know what happiness is?" Kitty murmured under her breath before Spikes returned with Xander at her side.

"Hey Kitty." His voice was cold, monotone as it always was.
Kitty straightened herself and leaned back in her seat.

"Hey Mohawk."

"Seriously? When are you going to grow up and call me by my name?"

"I'll call you by your name, as soon as you prove to me you deserve one." Kitty grinned as she stood from the couch.

"Kitty..." Spikes glared at the cat as she brushed fur off of her pants.

"Anyways, I'm gonna change into something warmer and then I'm leaving." Kitty responded cheerfully.
"I'll see you later, Spikes."

Kitty pushed Xander with her shoulder as she walked past him, grinning all the while.

"Sometimes I wish you'd reconsider your friends." Xander groaned, dropping down onto the couch.


Spikes hesitated for a moment before taking a seat beside him.
She watched him, trying to read the emotions behind his stoic form.

"I... Xander can we talk?"

He lifted his head, his charcoal eyes meeting hers.

"Really? Okay." Xander asked, his voice remained cold.
He leaned over, resting his hand on her thigh.

"I was just wondering... Xander where do you see us after graduation?"

"With jobs and diplomas, why?"

"No, Xander. I mean us, our relationship." Spikes sighed as she fumbled with her hands.
"Where is our relationship going?"

Xander rolled his eyes and wrapped his other arm around Spikes's shoulder.

"We're just teenagers, Spikes. We don't need to worry about that right now." He kissed her nose before removing his arm from her shoulder.
"What is it you want exactly?"

"I don't know." Spikes groaned, leaning forward to rest her face in her hands.

Kitty's words were hitting her harder than she'd anticipated.

"Don't you think it's a little weird that we're not very affectionate?"


"Yeah it's weird. Cause we're not conforming like every other love struck dumbass." Xander sighed, as though he were explaining it to a child.
"I thought you liked being different."

"I do..." Spikes hesitated, glancing at Damon resting on the other couch.

You don't though, not really.

"We could try it though."
Spikes turned, eyes wide as she stared at Xander.
"We could try going out, and acting more... couple-y? I don't see the harm in trying."

"Are you serious?" Spikes questioned him.
teetering between glee and anxiety.

"Yeah. No guarantees Spikes, but I don't see the harm in trying."
...


Kitty sighed heavily, shivering against the cold breeze.

"Stupid Spikes had better appreciate this." Kitty growled under her breath, leaning against the railing of the cliff side overlooking the city.

It was beautiful covered in snow as the sun rose.

It was different to live somewhere with snow. It had never snowed in Starlight Shores, so her father would take a week off of work if not more to rent a cabin.

Kitty smiled at the memory of the many snow days with her father.

"I should have stayed in bed." Kitty whined, resting her head on the snow covered railing.

She pulled out her phone, about to text Spikes and ask if the coast was clear so she could go home.

"Kat... Is that you?"

His voice nearly made her drop her phone.
He couldn't be here. Not now. 
Not after nearly two years.

"It is... It is you isn't it? I can't be seeing things again."

Kitty's entire body shook, he breathing became labored as she scanned the area for the quickest possible.
She had to go. She couldn't see him.
Not him.

She turned to run. Run as far and fast as she could get.

But he grabbed her wrist as she was about to.

"David..." Her voice was breathless as she stared up into his hazel eyes.


"I found you... I finally found you."
He pulled her into his arms, resting his forehead on her shoulder.
"I'd almost given up, but I finally found you."

Kitty pushed him away. She took a step back, pressing herself against the railing preventing her from a hundred foot drop.

"How?" Kitty shook, clutching her hands to her chest.
"How did you find me?"

"Did you miss me?"

"I... I have to go." Kitty muttered as she tried to push past him.

He grabbed her arm, scowling until she turned to face him.

"Don't you dare. You abandoned me. It's been nearly two years, and you owe me an explanation."

"I don't owe you anything, David." Kitty hissed, her pupils beginning to form slits. 
"Get out of my way."

"No. You're going to answer me damnit."

"Answer what?"

"Not here. Come with me to the Winter Festival in town." His grip on her arm loosened, and his posture straightened.

Kitty glanced at the street, over the cliff, and then back to David before sighing heavily.

"Fine."
...


"It's great how much snow is in Bridgeport, don't you think so?" David grin as he fell on his back into a snow drift.

Kitty frowned, neglecting to respond as she focused on the snow man she was attempting to build.

"So how have you been, Kat?"

"Kitty." She hissed under her breath.
David rolled onto his side, glaring at her.

"How have you been, Kitty." He spat it like venom.
Kitty hesitated, glancing at him before returning her attention to her pile of snow.

"Good."

"I can't get more details than that?"

"No."

David hesitated, watching her cautiously while she continued to avoid his questions.

"How is your mom? I heard about your dad after you left."

"She's gone."
...

"Why did you leave?" He stared into her eyes, searching for the answers he felt she would never give.

He wasn't wrong.

"Mom decided it was time to go after my father was murdered." She kept her voice even, despite the emotions warring inside of her.

"Why didn't you tell me?"
Kitty flinched. 

She should have told him she was leaving.
A good person would have.

"Kat why didn't you-"

"Kitty."

David snarled, grabbing her by the shoulders and forcing her to face him.

"Stop that! Stop avoiding me! Stop avoiding your own name! Tell me why!"

"I changed my nickname. People do that sometimes, David." Kitty hissed, her eyes forming into slits.
"Get your hands off of me."

"Damnit Kat." David released her, kicking at the snow at his feet.


"It's in the past David. It doesn't matter anymore."

"I was in love with you and you disappeared without saying anything to me. It matters to me, not that you care."
Kitty flinched, she deserved it. She hadn't cared.
"You could have at least faced me when you ripped my heart out. It would have been the honorable thing to do."

She looked down at him, hunched over and face in his hands.
She'd hurt him. That much was clear.

"I had to go David." Kitty spoke under her breath, standing from her seat.

"Why?"

"Because I need to get away from the past." She responded before she turned and ran.

"Kat! Kitty, come back!" He called out. His voice sounded desperate as he ran after her but she kept running.

As fast as she could, even when her lungs started to burn she refused to stop until she got home.
Running home and straight into her best friend's arms.


The thing about the past

No matter how fast you run

No matter how far you go

You're going to have to face it one day

Because it will always catch up to you

Always

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying this story so far. With every chapter, your writing improves and your characters grow. I like how you guys focus on two characters and take your time to tell both girls' stories. It's a good balance and I'm looking forward to learning more about Kitty's past.

    And I LOVE the last six lines of this chapter. Certain parts of this story haunt me, and this is one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete