Friday, March 30, 2018

Chapter 6: Uh Oh

Aurora opened her eyes, her vision blurred slightly. She lifted a hand to her head, closing her eyes for another moment before moving her hair aside. She was surrounded by noise and music, people shuffling around where she sat at a table across from-
She looked up, a quiet scoff left her lips as she rolled her eyes. Her date, who had been so boring she had actually dozed off for a moment. He had seemed charming, and it amused her to watch his brown eyes travel downward and shoot back up as he surveyed her.
"Are you okay?" His voice was soft, brows furrowed with concern. Her jade eyes glanced him over before closing once more as she stood from the table.
"I am just fine, but I've had enough." Aurora grabbed her wallet from her purse, dropping a fifty dollar bill on the table.
"No, you are not leaving with me. No, you will not be hearing from me again. I'm sure you're plenty nice, but I am not interested."
His eyes flashed between confusion and hurt as she tossed her hair over her shoulder and made her way out the door. She hardly noticed the cold as she made her way around the building to where she had parked her car. Her eyes widened at the sight of orange hair leaning against the wall, arms crossed as he glared at the man speaking to him.
"It's almost time. I can't go home right now. You know that, Da-"
"Dagger?" His eyes were almost as wide as her own at the sound of his name. He tilted his head in confusion, his hand lifting to his head as he ran it through his hair.
"Scourge? What the hell-"
"I have to go kid. I'm serious though, Rapier has been getting- well you know how she gets." The other man patted Dagger's head before stepping into the car they had been standing beside.
"Who was that? Who's Rapier?" Aurora questioned as she stepped closer to him, resting a hand on her hip. Her brows furrowed when he stayed silent. She reached out,  her hand resting against his forearm.
"Dagger, what the hell?"
"Sorry." His voice was low, eyes at his feet. He ran his hand through his hair again as he glanced around them.
"That was my dad, and Rapier is my little sister. Apparently she's been harassing him about my absence lately."
A small smile crept onto Aurora's lips, sighing softly as she lowered her hand from Daggers arm.
"You don't look much like your dad."
"Yeah, apparently I take really heavily after my mother." He laughed slightly, his eyes meeting hers.
"Am I going to meet her too one day?"
"You'll have to get in line."
Aurora froze, her mouth agape. She struggled to find the words to respond, and he laughed softly running a hand through his hair.
"That was stupid. I hardly know you. I shouldn't have said that," He reached out, fingertips against her arm.
"Hope you don't need a ride this time, Scourge. I don't have my car on me."
He winked at her, grin on his lips and turned to walk away. She stared at his back as he walked away, her heart began to race and despite herself she ran after him, grabbing his hand. He looked startled as he glanced between her eyes and her hands.
"I just had a really lousy date, and was going to get some sushi. Come with me?" His brow furrowed, but he nodded. She grinned, tossing him her car keys as she made her way back to her car.
"I pay, you drive."
Dagger rolled his eyes, a small grin on his lips as his eyes fell on her car.
"Damn Scourge, you never told me you were rich."
"You didn't need to know." She sat down in the passenger seat, smiling at him as he opened the door.
"And if you damage my car you will pay for it in cash or blood."
"Do you take those payments in pints or quarts?" He laughed as he stepped into the car.
"Where to, Scourge?"
"There's a place a couple miles from my dorm, but-" She hesitated glancing at him.
"You know what, whatever. Let's just go there, get food to go and go back to my dorm. I don't really feel like being out."
"You're actually going to let me into your dorm?" He raised an eyebrow at her as they sped down the road.
"I don't see why not. I know you pretty well compared to anyone else in this town." Aurora scoffed, tossing her hair over her shoulder.
"I'll just give you a ride back to your shack when we're done."
"Aurora..." Her name on his lips startled her. She glanced over at him through a curtain of ebony and scarlet hair.
"Just drive criminal," She scoffed, leaning back int her seat.
"And before you get too excited, I'm paying. So this is not a date."
"So if I pay, would that make it a date?" Dagger smirked, his eyes still on the road.
"You wish."
"I know. That's why I'm asking."
Aurora laughed at his quick retort. She shook her head softly, her jade eyes meeting his crimson ones.
"You're an idiot and this is still not a date."
"Guess I can't complain about free food then." Dagger grinned at her, returning his eyes onto the road.
"I'm sorry about interrupting your discussion with your father." Aurora's voice was soft, her eyes on the passenger window.
"Don't worry about it, Scourge," Dagger sighed softly, his grin still on his lips.
"It's just my old man, not like I'll never see him again."
Aurora smiled softly. Her thoughts traveled to her own father who she would be seeing again in a short week,
"By the way, you know I'm just driving in circles right?" Dagger interrupted her reminiscing.
"What?" Aurora hissed, her sharp gaze turning on him.
"You didn't exactly give me a direction to head in," He chuckled almost bashfully.
"I don't exactly know where to go."
"You're an idiot."
...

Aurora inhaled sharply, sitting up from where she had been laying on the couch. She rubbed her eyes for a moment surprised with herself for having fallen asleep on the couch. Even more surprised that she had not received a rude awakening from Spade.
She swung her legs off of the couch, and was met with a loud hiss. She peered over the couch at the floor to find crimson eyes glaring up at her.
"You know I figured falling asleep was unplanned, but you don't have to go kicking me," Dagger complained as he sat up.
"What the hell are you doing here? I was supposed to take you home. What the hell-" Aurora whispered. She ran a hand through her hair, biting on her lip as she glanced between Dagger and the doorway to Spade's room. She glared at him, venom in her voice.
"I'm so fucking stupid to have let you into out home."
"Will you calm down, Princess?" Dagger growled back, gesturing towards both of their clothed forms. "It's not like we fucked or anything."
"That's not what I am worried about, Dumbfuck." Aurora stood up, quickly straightening herself.
"What is it then-"
"Aurora?" Spade voice made both of them jump. Aurora lifted her leg slightly, shoving Dagger onto the ground and her heel into his chest.
"What's up Spade?" Aurora asked, tossing her hair over her shoulder. She bent over to pick up her phone of the couch, Spades eyes watching her every movement.
"Why are you up so early?" Spade raised an eyebrow at her cousin.
"I just fell asleep on the couch. Believe me, I have every intent of going back to bed."
Spade's raised eyebrow lowered, her expression shifting to a glare. "Anything else, Aurora?"
"What? Of course not," Aurora scoffed, glancing down at Dagger. "I mean Dagger's here, but that's not important."
"Why the fuck is he here?" Spade hissed,  walking around the couch. Dagger sat at, returning Spade's glare.
"Spade relax." Aurora sighed, grabbing her cousin's shoulder. "I brought him here and fell asleep. Nothing happened."
"You let a stranger into our home."
"Okay, seriously what is with the two of you?" Dagger stood up, towering over both girls.
"I'd hardly consider myself a stranger at this point."
"No one asked what you considered."
"Spade enough." Aurora crossed her arms over her chest. She stepped in between Spade and Dagger.
"He hasn't even done anything stupid yet."
Spade's glare shifted between the two felines. She inhaled deeply, her shoulders relaxing simultaneously with Aurora's.
"I'm sorry I didn't mention it first, okay?" Aurora stepped closer to her cousin, grabbing her forearm.
"I'll get rid of him now."
"It's fine," Spade's voice was soft. She shrugged out of Aurora's grasp, pulling her hair over her shoulder. "However you're no longer allowed to be mad at Willow for wanting to set the two of you up anymore."
Spade laughed at Aurora, whose cheeks were almost as red as the tips of her hair. She turned on her heel, finding Dagger grinning smugly at her.
"So your other cousin-not-cousin wants us to date?"
"Willow is a naive optimist that doesn't know any better," Aurora hissed, crossing her arms again. Dagger stepped closer to her. His hands hovered over her waist for a moment before he shoved them back in his pockets.
"You have to admit you like me. At least a little bit."
"You wish, criminal," She scoffed.
"Yeah I know. That's why I keep asking." Aurora's cheeks reddened once more. She shoved him lightly away from herself.
"You're an idiot and have overstayed your welcome." She glared at him. She turned around and made her way towards the door.
"Hey can I drive again?" Dagger asked, trailing behind her. Neither feline aware of Willow and Spade watching them from behind the curtains.
...

Aurora's heels clicked loudly against the cobblestone leading up to her home. Spade and Willow had been annoyed with her decision to fly home two days early, not that either of them believed they could make her reconsider.
"Mom? Dad?" Aurora called out as she stepped into her house. The quiet was unsettling in her childhood home which was always filled with noise.
She sighed, picking her suitcase back up and took the steps two at a time up into her bedroom. She tossed her suitcase down in front of her dresser, and fell onto her bed. Her eyes watched the driveway, frowning at the absence of her father's and brother's vehicles.
Her phone's buzz startled her from her thoughts.
-Hope you got there safe.-
She raised an eyebrow, quickly unlocking her phone. She'd forgotten she even told Dagger she was leaving. She closed her eyes, ebony and scarlet hair sprawled around her. The longer the silence went on, the heavier her chest felt, the harder it felt to even breathe. Her eyes shot open at the sound of tires on the pavement, her lips breaking into a grin at the sight of her father's truck. She ran from her room, sliding down the banister to the living room on the first floor.
She chuckled softly, hiding behind the couch as the front door flew open.
"You need to watch where you're going Tako," Kitty glared at her husband as her narrowly avoided stepping on the new dog.
"It's not my fault Moon Moon is an idiot." Takado grumbled, tossing a bag he'd been holding onto the couch. "All of Carissa's dogs are smart enough to know to avoid people's feet."
"He has the most personality. You love him and you knot it." Kitty poked at his chest, smiling up at him. He grinned back, leaning over and briefly met his lips to hers.
"Yeah whatever."
Kitty took a step backward, as Aurora stood up and took a seat on the armrest of the couch.
"Hi Mom," She chirped. Kitty Squeaked as she turned around, her sapphire eyes wide as they fell on her daughter. Moon Moon yelped and jumped on top of Takado, knocking him to the ground.
Aurora burst out laughing as Kitty threw her arms around her. "What are you doing here? I thought you weren't going to be home for another two days."
"I missed you, and honestly I didn't feel like being in the damn car for over 14 hours so quickly after the last time," Aurora replied, tightly embracing her mother.
"Your brother is going to be so happy to see you. Oh, and you can meet his girlfriend. Her name is Luna, and she just moved in last week. Just so you're not surprised, she is pregnant. Your brother wants to move out though and now you can help me convince him to stay. Oh, and Hamish is still avoiding everyone and-"
A loud yelp interrupted Kitty's rapid news updated. Kitty hissed as Takado attempted to shove Moon Moon off of his chest, only to have the dog attempt to crawl back on top of him.
"Moon Moon," Kitty cooed, patting to side of her leg and the dog raced to her side, tail wagging so hard that his whole body shook.
"You alright there, Dad?" Aurora chuckled, looking over her mother as Takado pulled himself off of the ground. Takado rolled his eyes, pulling his daughter into his arms.
"It's good to see you princess." Takado's jade eyes were soft when he pulled away, brushing a strand of Aurora's hair behind her ear.
"Wait, so where is Damien?" Aurora glanced between her two parents as her father sighed and Kitty frowned.
"We were actually just out looking at apartments with him and Luna." Takado responded, moving to Kitty's side and pulling her into his arms. "Your mother is clearly less than pleased with it."
"Mom, you didn't react this badly when I left for college," Aurora chuckled, taking her mother's hands. "What's the big deal this time?"
"You're coming back though." Kitty shook her head, obviously holding back tears. "I don't want you or Damien leaving before-"
"We'll always be around, Mom. It's not like we'll never come visit."
Kitty shook her head, sighing softly as she pushed away from her husband, "I was going to say, I don't want either of you leaving before you're ready. Your brother is not."
Kitty leaned down and pat Moon Moon's head softly. Aurora frowned, crossing her arms. Her mother had reached point where she wouldn't say another word on the matter to anyone but her father.
"Please tell me you guys haven't eaten yet," Aurora smiled at her father. "I'm starving and I have missed your cooking so much."
Takado smiled, patting his daughter's head. "Sure thing, anything in particular either of my girls want?"
"Fish?" Kitty and Aurora said in unison, turning to grin at each other. Takado laughed, kissing Kitty's cheeks as he passed her on his way into the kitchen.
"I'm happy you're home." Kitty smiled, hugging her daughter once more. "I can't stand it when the house is quiet."
"Me too." Aurora's voice was soft as her mother skipped into the kitchen.
...

"Fancy finding you out here," Tobias laughed as he took a seat beside Aurora at the pool's edge. She smiled softly at him before returning her eyes to the water before her. "I'm used to you being in the center of the crowd."
"Even I need a break from people from time to time." Aurora scoffed. Tobias nudged her shoulder with his.
"Not from your family. What's going on?" His hazel eyes searched her. She squirmed when his hand touched hers, Her cheeks reddened, she pulled her hand away and reached out to touch the water's surface with her fingertip.
"There's a guy." She laughed when he gasped dramatically and clutched his chest.
"Isn't there always a guy with you though?" Aurora shoved his shoulder roughly and he laughed again. "What happened to my sweet little Aurora who wanted to grow up to marry me?"
"She grew up and realized you're actually an ass." Aurora stuck her tongue out at him. "That and even though my mom wasn't able to adopt you, you're still like a brother to me."
"I didn't need the whole story again," Tobias rolled his eyes. "So why's this guy different?"
"He's different." Aurora took off her heels, and set them beside herself. She stuck a foot in the water and watched the water ripple. "He's rough on the edges but he has this warmth to him. He's a criminal though, and you know how my dad is."
"I'm almost positive that Takado wouldn't give a damn who you ended up with as long as they treated you right." Tobias took his shoes off, and stuck both his feet into the water. Aurora scowled as water splashed her leg. He leaned back, his eyes on the sky above them. "It's going to snow tonight. You can tell if you look at the clouds, but people are not so easy to read. A criminal could have a heart of gold just as easily as a seemingly good and quiet kid can lose it and murder his whole family."
Aurora frowned, her hand reached for his. "It was David's birthday two weeks ago."
"Yeah." Tobias laid down on the cold concrete, his legs in the water and eyes on the sky. "Apparently even after twenty years, they won't let me escape. I love my family, at least what's left of it, but it sucks that they always watch me as if I'll snap like he did."
"David was sick, Tobias. You're not him, and you never will be." Aurora's voice softened as she rubbed his hand with her thumb.
"You say that as if he knew he was going to murder his family one day." His brows furrowed and his voice seemed to growl, "Except of course for the little brother he left alive to spend the next five years wondering why he'd survived and feeling guilty for it. I don't think your mother will ever realize how grateful I am to her for telling me what happened."
"My dad was pissed though." Aurora laid down beside him, her eyes searching for whatever he saw in the sky.
"Yeah, he thought I'd grow to try to get revenge," Tobias lifted his hands in the air and made a mock gesture of air quotations. "It was David that did it, not your family. Honestly, maybe it's not the worst thing that he did either."
Aurora's head turned to face him as his hazel eyes finally left the sky and landed on her jade ones.
"My mom and dad murdered your grandfather because he wasn't human. By how great your family is, it leaves me to assume he wasn't a bad man." He reached over, and ran his fingertips against her jawline. "What David did was by no means right, but I can't sit here and pretend it wasn't a risk they ran for us since the beginning. If it wasn't David, then it could have been anyone else."
"It's the soul that makes the monster, not the species." Aurora whispered. "Do you think he was talking about himself?"
"Everyone says he was sick," Tobias sighed and pulled his hand back. "I don't believe that. I think he loved his family, but he couldn't let them continue as they had. They only way to do that was to kill them, and he knew he couldn't live with himself."
Tobias and Aurora sat up. He ginned, taking her hand in his. "I mentioned my brother because even now I still love him.. I still believe he was a good person at heart."
Aurora tilted her head to the side, the tips of her hair grazed the water. "What does that have to do with-"
"Don't be like me. Don't hide how you feel just because you're afraid of how the world will look at you." Tobias reached over, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Don't cage your heart. That's the one thing that should always be free."
"Tobias-"
"So if I can still love the brother that murdered my family, you can ask the criminal on a date. Deal?" He grinned and reached his hand out. Aurora rolled her eyes. A soft sigh left her lips as she placed his hand in his.
"I'll consider it."
"Aurora! Tobias! Spikes and everyone just got here!" Kitty exclaimed, stepping out the kitchen door. "It is freezing out here, how the hell do you two have limbs in the water?"
"We'll be right in, Mom." Aurora laughed. She pulled her foot from the water, ignoring the ripples it left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment