Friday, February 6, 2015

Chapter 25.5: Fireworks


“Damon enough!” Spikes shouted as she walked the door of her new studio apartment.  Damon was taking longer to adjust that she had figured it would, he seemed to be howling at almost every noise he heard. 

“It was just the doorbell.” she muttered.  Her eyes slightly widened as they met with his jade.

“Hey Carissa, can I come in?”  Takado asked almost hesitantly as he watched her eyebrows start to furrow.

“Um-yeah, sure.” she paused and peaked her head out the door, 
“where’s the other half?”

“Oh, she’s out with Sabbith.” Takado attempted to steady his voice as he walked passed his sister and observed her home.  

It was fairly small, a futon set up as a couch was against the wall, a small table with two chairs was placed next to the small kitchen that was fraction of the size of their last.

“Okay.” Spikes was hesitant as she closed the door behind her and watched her brother analyze her apartment. 
“Are you okay?” she asked calmly as she walked passed him to the kitchen.


“I think the real question is are you okay?” Takado asked, his voice carried a sternness about it as he picked up the 9mm that was laying on the kitchen table.  

Spikes turned around and sighed as she took the weapon out of his hand and quickly unloaded it before handing it back to him.

“I thought you knew better than to pick up a gun before checking if the safety was on.” Spikes growled lowly as she turned back to the coffee pot.

“What are you doing with a gun Carissa?  Why do you even need it?” his voice started to rise with his anger as he watched her continue to casually prepare coffee. 
“Carissa are you listening to me?”

“Of course I am.” she turned around, her eyes were glowing but her aura was calm.  

Takado stared almost unable to grasp what she was at this point.

“Carissa...” he started, trying to find the right words to use.  

All he could think was when had he missed this much?  When did her humanity become so faint?  When did she become like that man.


“Let me guess Takado, what happened to me?  Who am I?”  she couldn’t help but smirk as she looked up at him, she could feel his concern; feel his fear, his anger; but most his regret.  

Her face began to contort with disgust as she took a step back and looked him over.  
Clean shaven face, well dressed, something almost beamed. 

“What about you Takado?  What happened to you?  You are not the demon you once were, you aren’t the man I remember.  Hell, I can hardly even look at you and call you my brother.”  her voice remained calm as she spoke, her words only tearing into him deeper; 

“Why did you even come here?  You reek of fear and regret.  You know you are stronger than me,” her voice lingered as she watched his hands form into fists, she could feel his anger and attempt at self control, she couldn’t help but laugh at his attempts.

“Just answer me this Carissa.”  Takado managed to get out as he looked into her eyes, searching for that last bit of humanity. 
“Have you made the choice yet?”  

“No, not yet.” her voice was beginning to shake, she could feel sadness, her control was slipping, aura expanding. Rage.  
Her fur began to rise as she snarled to herself, she was snapping, fighting the urge to feel again.

“Why do you even care Takado?” her voice was hoarse as she glared up at him.

“Carissa, I know I’ve been distant, but you’re still-” he was cut off by her laughter.

“Still your sister?”  she laughed as she began to compose herself.  
That was it, she needed to hold back the anger, push it down.  Stay in control.  

“Look at me?  Do I really look like the sister you remember?  Since you’ve been back- well thats just it Takado, you’ve never really been back.  At least, not with me.”  Takado could only stare in disbelief as she spoke, her words hitting him like daggers.

“I’m sorry...” his voice trembled as he spoke, his eyes never leaving the glow of hers.  


Her hair was falling, covering her amethyst eye, leaving only the gleam of her golden eye; his eyes.
He watched her lips curl into a smile as she looked upon him, though still so feminine he shone quite well through her; yes it was no doubt she was in fact her father’s daughter.  

His mind raced as his body began to walk backwards to the door, he knew what was happening, he knew this wasn’t his choice.  
All he could focus on was her eye that now glowed like embers...the same way his did when he took her from this world.  

“When did I become so involved with my own happiness that I missed you fall into this hell?”  his hand was on the door handle, practically stumbling out the door.

Spikes smile began to fade, for a moment she was ready to lie to him; keep up safe from her further torment; but this wasn’t the time.

“When I saw the way you looked at her.” her voice barely above a whisper, sadness beginning to leak from her voice; 
“I knew you couldn’t be the brother I knew, she brought out a different you.” she attempted to stop her voice from cracking, 
“I knew then, if it were your happiness or mine, I chose yours.”  she could feel the tears forming, forcing Takado to shut himself out of her apartment.  

Takado could feel the strength of her compulsion forcing him back out to his truck, regardless of his attempts to stop.

“Carissa! Just let me help!” he shouted as he struggled against getting into his truck.  

He punched the steering wheel as he closed the door, he wanted to fight it, but a small part of him was giving up.  


Regardless of his attempts to teach her in his life before, something was causing her to become like the monster he refused to acknowledge as his father.  
He sighed as he started the truck, he knew she was past the point of being helped; it was up to her now.
Spikes fell to the floor as she finally allowed her tears to fall.  

“What the fuck is wrong with me?” her voice was cracking, 
“Of course, I know what’s wrong; I’m going insane!  Why couldn’t I just tell him, why did I lose it again...why was I honest.” she asked aloud, everything about her was changing; she was even starting to consider giving up.  
Become the demon, never know pain.  
She shook her head ignoring Damon whimpering beside her as she dove further into her mind.  

What are you doing with a gun?  

She scoffed as his question rang in her head.  

What was she doing?  A last resort.  As the months had progressed she’s felt herself slipping further into insanity. And she liked it.  
She was loving every moment of feeling the true rush of being a demon. 

Why do you even need it?

“To blow my own brains out of course.”
~~~~~~~~~~


Takado slammed his foot on the brakes as he quickly approached the red light not far from his sister's house.  

Gripping the wheel he snarled aloud as he let his head fall forward onto the steering wheel.  

He hadn't realized just how strong she had gotten, he didn't realize he had been so blind to the one thing that had once been his entire world.

"Fuck this..." he muttered taking off as the light changed to green.  

He couldn't go home, Kitty would surely see he was distraught.  She was already in so much pain, he couldn't let her be burdened with the mess he had caused.  

He continued to chase the sunset through the city only to find himself approaching an all too familiar place.  

It was as though he was being compelled again, stumbling over his own feet, past the cemetary gates; face to face with the tombstone that still stood with his name.


"I assume there was no point in removing it."  the voice was soft but stern, still so graceful, the color left his face as he spun around; 
"It seems the man you were then stayed dead, or am I mistaken my son?"

"Mother?" he managed to speak, barely above a whisper.  
The small woman stood tall behind him, red tipped white hair, glowing amethyst eyes; disappointment written across her face.  
He felt his knees shake as he took a step toward her, a lump forming in his throat. 

"How?" his hand reached forward, jumping away as he felt the softness of her hair brush his fingers.

"Be calm Takado," she began as she walked toward him.  

"Are you back?!" he nearly howled as she took his hands in hers, his mind racing, trying to comprehend.

"No darling, this is a mere side effect not even I had foreseen." she raised her hand gently touching his cheek, 
"With you, and reapers, I am not transparent.  More than likely a gift for those who have been to the other side and returned."

"I see." he responded softly, nuzzling his cheek into her hand.  
He felt a warm calm take over him as he inhaled her scent, not able to stop the tears from falling from his eyes.  


He reached out and embraced her, his body shaking as he let himself sob into her shoulder.  

"Mother...I've missed you so much..."  Demonia smiled lightly and hugged him in return, lightly rubbing his back as she did when he was a pup.

"I know my darling, but I did not call you here simply for a reunion." she spoke calmly as he released her from his embrace and nodded. 
"I'm happy to see you are able to cry now." she smiled as she lightly wiped the tears from his cheeks.

"I've changed a lot.  But I'm afraid it's not all for the best."
 
"I can see that.  What has happened since you have come back to this world?" her eyes staying locked with his, gentle and understanding.  

"I met a woman mother, an amazing woman, a feline..." he paused sighing as he searched for any sign of disapproval.

"I am not Niklaus, Takado, you need not worry of my disapproval of your mate." Takado flinched as he continued to speak.

"I haven't heard that name in so long," his voice trailed, 
"it's hard to remember that you were always the accepting one."


"The happiness of you and your sister is all that has ever mattered to me Takado, whomever you find in life, as long as you are happy."  she watched as he tensed up being reminded of his sister.

"I am happy mother, Kitty has shown me that regardless of my past, I do have a future.  A future with her, settling down, I've even contemplated the thought of one day having a family with her." he paused inhaling deeply, 
"However, in my pursuit of happiness, I've failed and broken my promise to you...Carissa is going through maturity and she's following the path of Niklaus..."

"I am aware, which brings us to why you are here." Demonia spoke firmly, 
"This should not be your responsibility, but as her elder brother you should have the desire to keep her safe and lead her down the right path."

"I know!  I fucked up.  I shouldn't have ever-" he was cut of by the low growl of his mother, he jumped and slightly cowered, it was a sound he had rarely heard from her.

"Do not speak that way Takado.  Never sacrifice your own happiness for anyone." her voice was low, but the impact was there, 
"It is not too late for Carissa, and this is not a matter of choosing your happiness or hers, there is always a way for you to both find your path to a bright future."

"But mother what can I do?  I let myself become so involved in myself that I completely overlooked the fact that she was suffering."

"You overlooked it, which means you did see it, did you not?" she questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"I-I-" he paused as he thought about the words that left his lips, 
"I did notice...when it started, but I guess...I thought she was strong enough to do it on her own..." he felt a lump forming in his throat.


"So you now understand what you did?  You let yourself be selfish, which is understandable Takado, very few are given a second chance at life.  You now see that you overestimated her, and being the daughter of myself and Niklaus it is a common mistake to make, but she is still just a pup Takado.  I know she stands with her head high, but she will always need her elder brother for guidance."

"Mother...she doesn't even see me as a brother anymore...I don't think I can fix this."

"That is her anger Takado, she is frightened and alone, she needs her kin." she spoke softly as she rested her hand on his shoulder.

"She needs her mother..." he turned to look at her, "I'll be back." he blurted as his ears perked up,
"Just please be here when I come back." he said before running off.
~~~~~~

Spikes laid on her bed staring up at the ceiling, her mind racing with thoughts of chaos.  
She couldn't stop her body from shaking, she wanted it to stop, to end everything; but something was stopping her.

"Carissa!" Takado howled as he kicked open the door to her apartment.


"Takado?!  What the fuck are you doing here?!"  Spikes snarled as she jumped to her feet, 
"I forced you out of here once I'll do it again!" her aura spread and her eyes started to glow, 

"I don't want to do this, get out now before I make you."

"No Carissa, not this time." he snarled back his jade eyes glowing as he felt her compulsion push at his joints.

"Leave!" she howled, focusing her energy on forcing him out.  

"You're weak Carissa, you don't know how to use your abilities yet, I do." he said calmly as he walked toward her, "I'm not going to let you force me out of here again."

"I guess I'll have to use other ways then." she growled lowly as she clenched her fists.  
She quickly bolted at him, aiming all her weight toward his center of balance.  

Takado smirked, easily dodging her attack, tackling her to the ground.  He pulled her arms behind her back causing her to howl in pain.

"Carissa don't do this, you know I can break your arm with no problem, I don't want to do that to you."

"Fuck off, what game are you playing?!" she snarled, struggling to be released from his grip.

"Just shut up and come with me!"


"Why?  To have an intervention with your mate?" she spat, her words like venom.

"No Carissa, this is something between you and me, now stop struggling already!" he snarled holding her arms in one hand using the other to keep her head against the floor.  
She stopped struggling and continued to growl.  
"Look just come with me, and after this I'll leave you alone, forever."

"Fine."
~~~~~~~


"Why the fuck are we at the cemetery?" Spikes questioned as she followed him down the path she had walked so many times before.  

“Just shut up and follow me.” he growled as they approached his grave.

“I have been and you’re leading me to-”

“My grave.” Takado said sternly as he stopped in front of his own tombstone.  
“Carissa, you were right earlier when you said I wasn’t the man you remembered.  Because I’m not, and I don’t know if I ever want to be.” 
he could see her body trembling as she stared at the grave before her.

“So you’re proving my point?” she scoffed as she raised her eyebrows.

“No that’s not it...I’m trying to explain to you that that thing I was, that monster, that was not the role model you should have had.  We didn’t have it easy growing up, but you’ve known nothing but survival your entire life...And I-I thought you could handle anything by now.” he paused, attempting to keep himself calm, 
“I was wrong to do that to you, I was wrong to just over look the fact that you were suffering-”

“So you did know what I’ve been going through?” she snarled clenching her fists.

“I didn’t realize it had gotten this bad...”


“Perhaps I can explain.” Demonia said calmly appearing behind the two across from the grave. 

Spikes quickly spun around and braced for a fight, she snarled as she met with amethyst eyes.

“Who the fuck are you?!” Spikes snarled, fangs bared, her astral fur rising.  
Demonia relaxed her shoulders slightly as she observed the rabid pup.

“You really do take after your father in ways.” she smiled softly, 
“Carissa, calm your mind for a moment and look at me.”  

Spikes slowly let her body return to a more human appearance as she stared into her amethyst eyes.

“Takado....” Spikes spoke hesitantly as she slowly made her way behind him. 
“Who is that...” 
her voice trembled, eyes never leaving Demonia’s.

“Carissa, this is Demonia, our mother.”  Takado smiled as he looked over his shoulder at his cowering sister.

“But...she’s...”

“Dead.  Yes Carissa I am, however I can make myself visible to others.  It’s easiest around you and your brother.”  Demonia spoke gently as she walked toward them.  

Spikes slowly stepped out from behind Takado, one hand still clinging to his shirt.


“But...you...I...” Spikes stuttered as her heart raced faster than the thoughts that ran through her mind.

“Take a moment dear, I know this is much for you to take in.” She paused, face to face with her pups. 
“You’ve grown so much.” she whispered as she reached forward to brush back the hair falling into Spikes’ face only for her hand to pass right through her.

“Wait? What just-” Takado began as he stared in confusion.

“As I told you before Takado, you are blessed with a gift that comes with crossing over, Carissa is and has always been very much alive.” Demonia said sadly as she pulled back her arm, frowning as the disappointment was clear on her daughter’s face.

“Mom...” Spikes paused slightly smirking as she shook her head, 
“It’s weird to say that.” she chuckled locking eyes with the taller female.  
“Why now?  Why are you only now showing yourself to me?”

“It takes much strength to make myself visible to the living on this side.” she sighed, 
“As well, without your brother with you, I doubted you would believe who I was if I were to appear before you.”  
Spikes couldn’t help but laugh and nod in agreement.

“So Takado, is this why you brought me here?” Spikes questioned looking up at him.

“Partially yes.” he inhaled trying to gather the courage to speak, 
“Carissa, I’m not going to lose you, not again.” he said sternly.  

Spikes furrowed her brows and shook her head.

“Its too late Takado, I-”

“Don’t be stubborn Carissa.” Demonia spoke sternly, 
“You know it is not too late, if it were your brother would be dead.”  

Spikes felt her heart skip a beat as her mother spoke, 


“If you had really given up, given in to the change, you would have taken his life.  It is not too late.” 

 Takado stared wide eyed, waiting for his sister to snap.

“You’re right...” Spikes exhaled feeling defeat.  
“Takado...I-I just...I don’t know how to fix this, how to trust you anymore.”

“Carissa, it is understandable for you to hurt, you are going through a very terrifying time all demons go through.  But, you must understand that you and your brother both had your normal life ripped away from you, but you both now have the opportunity to seize it.  Your brother didn’t and still doesn’t yet know how to balance this, but that is no reason to not trust him.  He gave his life for your safety once, and he would do it again.” she paused looking at Takado who nodded swiftly, 
“He was lost for a moment my daughter, but that is no reason to turn your back on your kin.”


“How can I-” Spikes was cut off by Takado grabbing her and pulling her into a tight hug.

“I told you...I’m not going to lose you again.  I’m sorry Carissa...I’m so sorry for allowing myself to be oblivious to what you were feeling.  I’m going to try to learn the balance, please be patient with me...” Spikes could feel his body shaking as he spoke, she felt her own knees start to go weak as she let her arms rise and wrap around him.

“Stop being so sappy...” she choked as the tears formed in her eyes. 
“Just...promise me you won’t let me leave...” 

save me from myself....

“I won't Rissa.” he said softly as he kissed the top of her head.
 
“You two both have grown to be such amazing demons.  I take pride in being your mother.” Demonia smiled as the two released each other from their embrace. 
“I only wish you would have grown with me.”  
her smile faded.

“Mom, what happened?  Why did you die?” Spikes finally asked as she wiped the tears from her eyes.  

Demonia tilted her head and looked at Takado who shook his head, she nodded and smiled as she stepped forward to be face to face with the pup that looked so much like herself.

“One day when he is ready, ask your brother about Niklaus.” her words were gentle as she wrapped her arms around her daughter.  Spikes’ eyes widened as she felt her mother’s embrace and quickly wrapped her arms around her. 
“I love you Carissa.”


“I love you too Mom...” Spikes whispered as her arms fell, leaving her with the subtle scent she vaguely remembered from infancy.  
“Maybe I’ll see you again one day.”

“Yeah, one day you will.”  Takado smiled as he put his arm around her shoulder. 
“Hey, lets go do something fun!”

“Bacon cheeseburgers and milkshakes?” Spikes giggled as they made their way to Takado’s truck.
“Just like when we were kids.”

“And on your tab.” Spikes laughed.

“Yeah, just like when we were kids.”

No comments:

Post a Comment