Sunday, June 9, 2013

Chapter 2: The Middle


Kitty hissed as she cast a glance out the window.
It was raining again.
She’d always hated the rain, typically too gloomy for her tastes.

The consistent sound of the rain against the house though, provided a comforting contrast to mansions usual eery silence.

She scoffed at the thought of how well off other teenagers might think she was.
She had money, a large home, no parents to force rules upon her.
There was nothing she wouldn’t give to have her family back though.
She sighed as she turned away from the window, making her way downstairs to her bedroom.

She jumped at the sound of the thunder outside. 

It had never bothered her until now.
Needless to say a large empty house made things out to be more frightening than they actually were.
She scurried down the stairs, as if being closer to the ground would keep her safe from the thunder.

She wished the house weren’t so empty, that she had friends she could invite over.
She was inconceivably shy though. She always sat away from the other students, always sat alone to read during breaks.

Her lip quivered as she felt the tears form in her eyes.

She just didn’t want to be alone anymore. She wanted friends, real friends that didn’t care about her money more than they did her.

Her eyes briefly passed over the door to the childish room that had been intended for her initially.
She scowled at it, for a moment glad her mother had vanished.

A weak smile made it’s way to her lips as she entered her room, her cat mewling quietly from the couch.

“Hi Jinx,” Kitty softly patted that cat’s head before throwing herself onto her bed.

At least I’m not completely alone.

Kitty thought to herself, closing her eyes and inhaling deeply she tried to to think about the loneliness that ate away at her insides.

She had no one left in the world other than her cat.


She felt her lip begin to quiver once again. She rolled over to face the wall, her eyes held shut in an attempt to stop the tears from falling from her eyes.

She heard the soft padding of Jinx’s paws as she jumped onto the bed. 
Meowing softly as she laid beside Kitty.

“I’m okay, Jinx, really. I’m just lonely.” Kitty spoke softly, not wanting to upset her familiar. 

Jinx growled quietly at Kitty. 

Kitty rolled her eyes, unamused by the tone her cat was taking with her.

“I know I need to make more friends Jinx! It’s just hard… I don’t know how to talk to people, and I don’t seem to be interested in anything that everyone else likes.”

Jinx growled once again, turning away from Kitty.

“I know that I need to try harder! People are just really intimidating though.” Kitty mumbled mostly to herself, not wanting to admit just how anxious people made her. 

She stared up at the ceiling, swallowing the lump that formed in her throat.

“Maybe I should just give up and get a pet dog.” Kitty laughed while Jinx hissed at her, clearly in disagreement with Kitty’s idea.

A small sigh escaped Kitty as she sat down on a bench outside of the school.
She had tried to be more sociable than she usually was and yet she still felt as if she’d made no progress at all.

She was lost in her own thoughts, paying the world no mind until she heard what sounded like the snarl of a feral dog.


“What the fuck are you doing here?” She heard a female’s voice through the snarling.

“I’m sitting. What’s your problem?” Kitty retorted, rolling her eyes at the hot headed teen.

“My problem is that you’re in my turf and you need to leave. Now.” The girl growled.
Kitty took a step back, surprised by the aggression displayed by the girl in front of her.

She quickly regained her composure and glared at the girl. She refused to let herself be bullied.

“I’m sorry I don’t believe you own this particular bench. Last I checked it was public property and I can sit here if I want to. So quit being a bitch and find somewhere else.”

“Doesn't fucking matter if it's public property. This here is my turf, so I suggest you get the hell away and make sure I never see you again..”

“I go to school here dimwit. You’d eventually see me even if I did care enough to try to avoid you.” Kitty spat at her.
“And it’s Kitty, not princess.”


“Kitty? What kind of name is that? Your parents into bestiality or some shit?”

“Spikes let’s just go. This isn’t worth it.” The blonde behind her spoke up, only to be silenced by the icy glare he received from her.

“Spikes? What, were your parents just that into bondage?” Kitty laughed in response to Spikes’s previous attempt at insulting her.

“That’s not my actual name Dumb-shit.”

“Then why would you assume Kitty is mine? I knew public schools had lower standards of education, but I never expected the students to be this stupid.”

Spikes’s eyes narrowed at Kitty’s comment. 
She was ready to rip the girl’s smile off of her face, but she wasn’t ready to get suspended again.

“You think you’re so much better than us just because you have money don’t you? Whatever, go back home to your big house and your Mommy and Daddy. I’m sure they’d be upset if their daughter broke a nail.”

Kitty flinched as she thought of her buried father and missing mother. 

“You’re nothing but a spoiled loser without a single friend. You don’t know what life is like in the real world. You have no idea what real pain or suffering are like! I bet you’ve had your entire life handed to you on on a silver platter.”

“It is a white gold platter you uncultured little mutt,” Kitty hissed at Spikes.
She knew what it was like to hurt, to suffer.

She wasn’t going to let this girl know that though.

“I’ve had enough of your shit Cat-”

“It’s Kitty.”

“Shut the fuck up and leave! If I ever see you here again I will kick your fucking ass, Kitty.” Spikes screamed at Kitty.

“I’d like to see you try!” Kitty shouted back.

Spikes went to punch Kitty, but was stopped by the boy with a mo-hawk grabbing her arm.

“We have places to be Spikes. That’s enough.” He spoke sternly before releasing her hand.

“Get the hell out of my sight cat.” Spikes growled, turning her glare to the boy with the mo-hawk. “And don’t you ever fucking touch me like that again, Xander.”


Her glare passed over Kitty once more before turning around and walking away, the boys who had accompanied her following closely behind.

Kitty rolled her eyes before making her way towards the taxi that had finally arrived.

She threw a glance over her shoulder, letting out a sigh before a scowl etched itself onto her face. 

She could only see this ending badly she thought to herself solemnly.

No comments:

Post a Comment